Sunday, October 10, 2010

Greetings

My name is Gabriel Alconcel and I am a traumatic brain injury survivor. I was downhill skating in San Pedro, California on August 8th, 2010 and I unfortunately fell. I was wearing a helmet, yet my head and brain sustained life threatening injuries. I survived and this is the story of my recovery back to my old self. I titled this blog, “Lector Et Emergo,” because I had seen it as the Facebook status of one of my friends. I knew it was Latin because I had taken Latin class at school but I was still curious and decided to Google it. It translated to, “I Struggle and Emerge.” I thought to myself, this Latin phrase fit my situation completely! And… I also thought it would be a pretty badass tattoo. Thanks Gabbi ;]

I am writing this blog because I was influenced by another traumatic brain injury survivor named Dorian Hargrove. He also has a blog (http://icantdrivefasterthan55.blogspot.com). I began to read his and thought to myself… this is pretty cool. I thought it would be an interesting read for my future self, my friends, fellow skaters, fellow survivors, my future kids and as a sort of therapy. Besides, what else am I supposed to do since I can’t be as physically active as I used to? I am going to write EVERYTHING about this low point in my life and my goal is to re-read this in a year and see how far I’ve come since that day.

1 comment:

  1. Gabe, I can already tell how strong a person you are. I know, just from reading your first post that you will turn this whole experience into something positive, and become the man that you want to be.

    Good on you, Gabe!

    Dorian

    ReplyDelete